Friday, May 12, 2006

Lycia

The Burning Circle and Dust
I never went for the gothy shit…. Well except maybe that two week period in middle school that I don’t like to talk about. Lycia gets past my prejudice against all things Goth or dark. While they do share the dark packaging and creepy vocals, Lycia is doing a lot more interesting things than the rest of their dark brethren & sisters. VanPortfleet, Galas & Vanflower build up dense atmospherics that hang in the air like fog on some forsaken moor.

The Burning Circle and the Dust was originally released in 1995 as a double disc on Projeckt Records. At that time, they added songs that were supposed to be a separate EP as the second disc. Now it has been remastered and edited back to its original length, as VanPortfleet wisely went with his original idea of the single disc.

Some of the vocals & drums sound a bit dated, not from the mid 90’s but from the late 80’s. The quality of the remastered record sounds great. I am probably not the best person to comment on this disc, I am not at all familiar with the artist or genre. I do find that this disc makes for some great late night listening. (Silber) (Dan Cohoon)